Being like White people will not free you. Defending White people will not free you. Code-switching will not free you. Pulling up your pants will not free you. Your lack of rhythm will not free you. Your ‘proper’ language will not free you. Your White friends will not free you. Your thrift store hipster clothes will not free you. Your White partner will not free you. Your White friends will not free you. Integration will not free you. Assimilation will not free you.
To all the PoC that take “acting white” as a compliment as they blame their own communities for their own oppression.
Things I Need White People To Understand
- Slavery didn’t end with the Emancipation Proclamation.
- Martin Luther King Jr. is not a cudgel to be used as a Yes-Man for any reverse racism propagandist.
- Reverse racism does not exist.
- "Post-racial" < ————- miss every last one of us POC with that shit.
- Racism didn’t end with integration, voting, interracial marriage, POC being on tv, POC being in politics, POC being in films
- Colorism is a direct cause of racism.
- Internalized-racism equates only to a POC bearing a racist mentality to their own individual race(s).
- Interracial marriages and relationships are not the cure for racism.
- Biracial/multiracial children are not the cure for racism or colorism.
- Adopting children of color while saying that their race, ethnic designation, and culture don’t factor into who they are and are either unimportant or irrevelant to their existence is not okay.
- Fetishizing POC is not okay.
- Fetishizing POC can go beyond sexual terms:
Touching POC hair or skin without their permission is not okay.
- "I just want to adopt a ton of asian babies!"
- ”Indian people have such ____ eyes I wish I had them!”
- ”I love the way Latin@s speak with their accents.”
- ”Black girls with good hair are what I live for.”
- ”I wish I were [ Black / Asian/ Latin@ / Indian / Native & Indigenous] because then I could BLAH BLAH BLAH or be BLAH BLAH BLAH.”
- There is no such thing as good hair. Stop shitting on women with naturally kinky hair.
- A woman rocking her weave is just as valuable as woman rocking her natural.
- You can still be racist and be married/be in a relationship with/have children with/have a relative or friend who is a POC
- A POC can internalize racism for their own races and perpetuate white eurocentric beauty standards as well as respectability politics
- Respectability politics and tone policing does not prove any point and only further enables racism/bigotry/ and colorism
- Being bullied by a POC does not mean you’ve experienced racism
- POC can not be racist We can be prejudiced. There is a difference between the two. Run to your dictionaries if you want but unless you are a POC and have experienced racism first hand you do not know what it feels like nor do you have a grasp as to the magnitude of it in your everyday lives or just go here for this wonderful slideshow that explains why not in depth: http://wocinsolidarity.tumblr.com/post/53341129027/and-even-a-bonus-slide-for-any-remaining-queries
- Being victims of racial profiling applies only to POC
- The umbrella term POC refers to the multitudes of races and ethnic designations that are not White. That being said the varying groups of people who are Black, Latin@, Asian, Native & Indigenous have their own layers of racial diaspora within them each with differing languages, dialects, cultures, traditions, politics, economic, and racial conflicts and issues. WE ALL SUFFER OPPRESSION BUT NOT ALL OF OUR OPPRESSION IS THE SAME. It may not be the best term to credit each individual race and or ethnic designations but it is the most understood, try though in conversations to be specific.
- Traveling is not the cure for racism
- Transethnicism is never okay.
- Cultural appropriation is never okay.
- Latin@ is an ethnic designation.
- African American Vernacular is a real language with differing dialects depending on the regions a person is in.
- It is up to POC and POC ALONE as to whether or not we choose to reclaim racial slurs used against us as terms of endearment for our own individual race(s)
- POC don’t want apologies on behalf your race. We want you to use your privilege and take action within your communities to help dismantle racist and discriminatory agenda.
- There is no such thing as the race card.
- Starting off sentences about how you aren’t a racist but [insert your unnecessary opinion or thought as a white person] has already condemned you to be one
- POC don’t owe you any justification or answers. There are books in libraries. There is the internet. DO THE RESEARCH YOURSELF.
- If POC do take the time to answer your question READ IT. LISTEN TO IT. THEN READ IT OUT LOUD AND LISTEN TO YOURSELF. We have said exactly what we wanted to say, that is the only answer you need from us. Ask another POC if you must but do not keep pushing they same question on them either.
- There is a difference between cultural exchange and cultural appropriation. Learn it.
- I don’t have anything more to say. Let the swarm of unfollowing and inbox hate commence. I’ve said my piece.
Tadaaaaaa~ first character !
Ok, so she’s named Ditzah, wich is an hebrew name (meaning “joy”). And she is a Gorgon ! She is 16 and scales have started to take a good part of her body (she has a lot on her legs).
Growing scales doesn’t hurt that much because it’s a very slow process, but god it scratches ! The areas of her skin wich are slowly turning into scales tend to be red due to the scratching but also the fact that it’s growing.
Her little snakes tend to have their own mind at the beginning, it takes a lot of pratice to have control of them (wich is why she goes to a support group for gorgons, with yoga and a lot of relaxation) but in the end they’ll be a complete part of herself ! They to bite off her hair, making it shorter and shorter and slowly making place for her coming snakes. But with no control over them, they tend to also bite things that are near, like her friends and people on the bus. Awkward yea. They also sotimes keep her awake at night, poking her face tehehe
She has that kind of very peppy perosnnality, always up for everything, jogging on saturday mornings, excited about a new chapter in science !
I hope you like her. :3 ♥
(The first time I drew her I had these beautifules ladies in mind and decided to found that photo again while drawing this !)
Reblogging here uwu
Illustrations de Esquisses sénégalaises, Physionomie du pays, Peuplades, Commerce, Religions, Passé et avenir, Récits et légendes par l’Abbé P.David Boilat
1 : Femme Signare
2 : Tisserand de Sérére Mbissel, Royaume de Sine
3 : Femmes Sérére
4 : Prince de Trarzas (Mauritanie) nommé Baba
5 : Femme Peule
6 : Grand Marabout Toucouleur, faisant un gri-gri pour une femme
7 : Femme Bambara
Source : Bibliothèque nationale de France
Really seriously flabbergasted and concerned about this.
Seein as how Russia’s foreign policy seems to mirror that of Germany in 1938… yeah, kinda.